A Brief History Of Marysville Ohio

A Brief History Of Marysville Ohio 2018-06-06T14:59:12+00:00

Marysville ohio welcome sign

Marysville Ohio is a great little town northwest of Columbus by about 20 minutes. Marysville is a part of Union County and the city had a population of just over 20,000 as of 2010. If you are going to be visiting the city, you should consider more about its history. This will help you better understand the city and the people that live there.

The Origin of Marysville

The area where Marysville is located was originally part of the Northwest Territory. The area then became part of the Virginia Military District before becoming part of the state of Ohio. One of the original surveys of the area was done in 1805 by James Galloway Jr. when he visited the area. It was only in 1819 that the city itself would be founded by Samuel W. Cuthbertson along the small waterway of Mill Creek.

The town was named after Cuthbertson’s daughter Mary and originally laid out in 1820. However, there were permanent settlements in the area before this time as Abraham Amrine settled 2 miles north of the city in 1817. The area where this settlement was located is marked by the Amrine-Mill Road which leads to the high school today.

The Early Development

After being initially laid out, the first post office was founded in 1824. At this time, the town was the residence of only 4 families. The first school in the town was established 4 years later on the east side. By 1839, the town would have 3 schools in total, but the first high school was opened by in 1843. The Board of Education was established a number of years later in 1850 and would regulate the school district, ensuring the right principles were being taught in school.

It was reported by the Ohio Gazetteer in 1837 that Marysville consisted of 45 houses, a jail, a courthouse, 3 stores, a tavern, 2 attorneys, 1 doctor and approximately 250 other inhabitants. Within 10 years from this publication, the number of inhabitants in the town would grow to 360. There were also other changes in terms of the stores and services which were offered including the opening of a private school, a newspaper, 2 churches, and 3 dry goods stores.

In terms of business, early Marysville had the McClouds Drug Store on the south side of the square, the American Hotel, The Cheap Cash Store and the W.W. Woods store. There was also a hat store on the southwest corner of the square. It is important to note that there were a number of other unnamed businesses run by the locals including farms, construction for building homes and stores, and blacksmiths.

The first mayor was elected after the village was incorporated in 1840. A census carried out in 1859 found that the town had grown to a population size of 981. By 1888, Marysville had earned the title of “the Shaded City” because of the tree-lined streets. The census in 1890 also found that the town had a population of 2832.

Marysville Business district in the 1900s.

Early Manufacturing And Banking

The industrial roots of the town can be traced back to the early companies in the city. An ashery was founded in the city in 1848 and by 1874 was the largest in the United States. The first steam-gist was erected in 1856 and a flour mill was founded in 1867. There was also a wool company in 1864 and a brewery was built in 1866. The Bank of Marysville was founded in 1854 and the Farmer’s Bank was opened in 1868.

Modern Marysville Development

Since incorporation, Marysville Ohio has gone through many changes and these changes continue today. In the century from the 1890 census, the population of the town could double. A new high school was built in the West neighborhood and the original courthouse would then become the middle school. The most recent school to open was in the 1990s as the old high school became the new middle school.

In 1948, Nestle opened a research and development center in the city and a new town hall was constructed. In 1977, Honda built a motorcycle assembly plant in Marysville that was eventually opened in 1982 on the far west side of the city. This prompted an expansion of the US Route 33.